This is my totally ahhhh-mazing mulled wine recipe.
It's a hit at any time of year, but especially at Christmas! Enjoy it on the balcony on a balmy summer afternoon, or by a roaring fire on a chilly evening—even better when shared with family and friends (cheesy Christmas carols are optional).
Merry Christmas everyone. Ho ho ho!
10m PREP 20m COOK
- 1 bottle o'plonk (I use a cabernet merlot)
- ¼ cup brandy (optional)
- 150 g sugar
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg (fresh is best, but jar will do nicely too)
- 5 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp fresh chopped ginger
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 orange, cut into slices
- Place all of the dry ingredients into a large saucepan with the orange juice and just a splash of the red wine. Heat through to let the spices infuse the sugary mix. Don't heat for longer than 5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has reached a slightly sticky consistency, add the rest of the wine and turn the heat to a very low simmer for 15-20 minutes (don't let it boil, or the alcohol will burn off!)
- Serve immediately. Dead simple, and so, so delicious.
There you have it—Christmas in a cup. Enjoy!